Filozofická Fakulta
Ústav pro klasickou arecheologii
Ústav pro klasickou arecheologii

Post-war history of the Institute

When the war ended in 1945, the institute had four planned faculty and assistant positions. In 1947, there were two professors – both distinguished themselves by having fought in the resistance – and two assistants, Jiří Frel and Milada Vilímková. However, everything changed in the early 1950s. Milada Vilímková, who specialized in Egyptian art and later published several books for public interest on the subject while working in the Heritage Institute (Památkový ústav), was fired together with Professors Růžena Vacková and Jindřich Čadík. After Milada Vilímková’s position was terminated, only Dr. Jiří Frel (see below) remained at the Institute.

Three new assistants were gradually hired: the first, Jiří M. Boháč, stayed only for a short time (his master’s thesis, Kerch vases with regard to antiquities in Czechoslovak collections, was published by the Czechoslovak Academy of Sciences publishing house in 1958). In 1953, he left for the newly founded Seminar of Classical Archaeology in Bratislava with Assoc. Prof. Oldřich Pelikán from Brno. Jiří Bartoš was employed in 1955 and Roman Haken came in 1957. Josef Bartoš left for Semily for family reasons in the early 1960s, where he worked as an ‘public awareness inspector’ and helped place the Institute's collection of plaster casts in Hrubý Rohozec. In the early 1970s, he was appointed director of the Hostinné Gallery, but was forced to leave for political reasons in 1973 and thereafter lived in Semily until his death. He was able to combine art history with philosophy in a clever way, and his master’s thesis on terracottas is still the basis for current teaching and exhibitions.

Roman Haken occupied his position at the Institute for only one year. He died of a heart defect that was still inoperable at the time. Despite his young age, he was able to write an excellent master’s thesis on Roman lamps that was published as a separate double volume of the Sborník Národního muzea journal in 1958, and several articles. He was also responsible for inventarizing the collection of gifts from Prof. Antonín Salač, who was appointed to lead the Institute for Classical Archaeology temporarily after its two professors were imprisoned after the war, and who served as the director of the Department of Classical Antiquity Studies into which the Institute was merged. In Autumn 1958, Jan Bouzek replaced Roman Haken as assistant, and after Prof. Jiří Frel did not return from the USA in 1969, Iva Ondřejová was hired as a new assistant.

Aktuality ÚKAR

There are not any news